Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Review: The Dark Divine by Bree Dispain

WOW. I'M SO EXCITED TO WRITE THIS REVIEW.
Sorry for the all caps, I'm just super excited! 

Title: The Dark Divine
Author: Bree Dispain
Genre: Paranormal YA (Romancey too!)



"Grace Divine, daughter of the local pastor, always knew something terrible happened the night Daniel Kalbi disappeared--the night she found her brother Jude collapsed on the porch, covered in his own blood--but she has no idea what a truly monstrous secret that night held.



The memories her family has tried to bury resurface when Daniel returns, three years later, and enrolls in Grace and Jude's high school. Despite promising Jude she'll stay away, Grace cannot deny her attraction to Daniel's shocking artistic abilities, his way of getting her to look at the world from new angles, and the strange, hungry glint in his eyes.




The closer Grace gets to Daniel, the more she jeopardizes her life, as her actions stir resentment in Jude and drive him to embrace the ancient evil Daniel unleashed that horrific night. Grace must discover the truth behind the boy's dark secret...and the cure that can save the ones she loves. But she may have to lay down the ultimate sacrifice to do it--her soul." (From Goodreads.)

Alright. Here we go. How do I even begin to describe this book?

Well, let's start with the obvious: I'm soooo dumb. I should have read this book years ago.

The thing is...for some reason I felt like I started this book and didn't like it. Or I read the preview and it didn't wow me. But..after hearing so many good reviews, I checked my Nook Book library...and I never downloaded the preview! Or read it for that matter.

All that aside, I adored this book. I am already into the second book. It is a great series thus far.

The characters are great. They are very relatable. Grace isn't ''awkward" like so many paranormal protagonists. She's not incredibly popular but she isn't a social reject  She's a girl most people can relate to. She is happy, but is still trying to figure herself out.

Jude is Grace's brother, part of the Divine family. He is aggravating, yet charming. I don't want to give anything away but in the beginning of the book you can tell he's a bit flaky. It's hard for me to describe him now after the ending. I'm dying to tell you guys all about him but I really don't want to ruin the book. That being said, he's very religious and kind to Grace.

Daniel-ah swwwooooon. Is the love interest of Grace. They were good friends before he disappeared  and when he came back, Grace pushes away her feelings towards him, after Daniel and Jude had a falling out. (Jude and Daniel were best friends, thats how Grace knew him originally.) Daniel is portrayed very negatively in the beginning, which you will begin to understand as the story progresses. Still, he's hot, and a bad boy. I'm so jealous of Grace. I want him.

The Divine family is very solid. Grace's dad is a preacher and they are heavily religious. Please note that a lot of this book is religious-themed. If that ain't your thang, you may not like it. But...I'm not particularly religious and I found this still a fantastic book. I love the Divine family...they are relatable. They avoid the bad things, like so many families, and try to focus on the good. 

I read a review in which someone said they didn't know it was a Paranormal book. I really don't understand why someone would say that, as there are SEVERAL hints that this book isn't a YA contemporary romance.
Also, a lot of people said the language is very simple and not extremely deep. Which I understand....it is an easy read. Still, the action, plot and characters fully make up for the writing. 


Wowow after re-reading that review I realized it sucked. I can't put my full love for this book into words, I suppose. Just read it. I seriously recommend.

Cover Art: 10/10 (Love the colors and the spookiness of it.)
Characters: 10/10 
Plot: 9/10
Pacing: 9/10
Overall: 10/10




No comments:

Post a Comment