Friday, October 12, 2012

Book Review: The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen

The Secret of Ella and Micha by Jessica Sorensen

Genre: Realistic YA Fiction

 I picked up this book because its plot seemed intriguing. I love myself a twisted protagonist. I recently read Ember which is also by Jessica Sorensen, and adored it. (I tried to force myself to read the Fallen Star series, couldn't get through the first book.) I knew this novel would be a hit or a miss, as I had mixed reviews on her past books.
                  Anyways, back to TSOEAM (I've decided to abbreviate it), the novel started off painfully slow. It was inching in the beginning. Aside from that, I could recognize from the start that it getting progressively better. There was tons of foreshadowing that led me to believe that this book was destined for greatness. And boy did it deliver! Sorensen shows us believable characters with rocky pasts. The two main protagonists (yes it is from two points of view,) Ella and Micha, are both haunted by their histories. I don't want to give toooo much away, but Ella is a cause of quite a lot of Micha's problems.
                  Ella is an extremely complicated character. When the book starts off, Micha and her hadn't seen each other in a year. We are introduced to her as a reserved girl who is in denial about her past. When she meets back up with Micha, the reader comes to realize that she is a completely different person than he used to know.
                  The mystery in the book is what made me love and hate it. Sorensen keeps the reader wondering 'What the hell is happening' for about 80 pages in the book. TSOEAM seems to pick up after this. The plot is much quicker. If you dislike books with a huge back-story to them DO NOT READ THIS. If you like a book with tons of secrets and that keeps you wondering, I absolutely recommend.
                  The style is typical with Sorensen's past books, vivid and passionate. She isn't too wordy, which I like. She is concise and lets the emotions of the characters carry the weight of the book. You can't help but root
                   Let me say...Micha and Ella are HOT HOT HOT. When they are together sparks are flying everywhere. You romance readers will adore this book. In addition, Ella's family, (her father and brother,) is a nice addition to the book. Her brother is a foil for Micha. I'll let ya'll make up your mind about the other minor characters, Lila and Ethan. (I liked them, but I can see how some people would find them pointless.)
Also, this is a going to be a trilogy! Nothing better than a series, right?!

One last note, I want a boy like Micha. Please God, I'm begging you....

Ratings:
Cover Art: 8/10 (Love it!)
Characters: 9/10
Plot: 9/10
Pacing: (1 being extremely unhurried, 10 being extremely rapid,): 4/10
Overall: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment