Sunday, March 31, 2013

Review: Collide by Gail McHugh

Title: Collide
Author: Gail McHugh
Series: Collide Series
Genre: New Adult Romance
Pub Date: January 1, 2013
Pages (Kindle Version:) 404


"On the heels of graduating college and trying to cope with her mother’s death, Emily Cooper moves to New York

City for a fresh start.

While harboring secrets of his own, Dillon Parker takes care of Emily through her grief. Knowing he can’t live without her by his side, he’s sweet, thoughtful, and everything Emily has ever wanted in a man.

Until she meets Gavin Blake—a rich and notorious playboy who is dangerously sexy and charming as hell. Emily tries to deny the instant connection she feels, but Mr. Tall, Dark, and Handsome is not inclined to let go so easily. Recovering from his own painful past, Gavin will stop at nothing to win Emily over. 

This unexpected encounter compels Emily to question her decisions, forcing her to make a choice that will destroy friendships, shatter hearts, and forever change her life."


Agh.

Just so you guys know, this isn't going to be a positive review.

I wanted to love Collide so much. It really had potential to be a great book. Unfortunately, the characters destroyed the book completely for me.

Dillon was an asshole. Like, from the first chapter I knew he was going to be an asshole. This isn't a spoiler in any way, it's pretty blatant to the reader in the first chapter that he sucks.

Obviously, he was created this way to foil Gavin. But here's my issue: Gavin wasn't that great. He was great in the sense that he's charming and oh so in-love with Emily. But he constantly is needing advice from his friends, throughout the whole book. Rarely does he realize he needs to do something without someone telling him

And oh my lord. Emily killed me. I don't want to have a massive spoiler here so this is going to be hard to explain but the girl is absolutely crazy. She is so terrified of being alone and is the most indecisive person I have ever met. Plus she leads on two guys which really isn't cool in my book (unless she truly didn't know who she wanted to be with...but she did so that's why it was so dang frustrating.)  

Olivia, Emily's best friend I really liked. She's outspoken and funny and relatable which I loved. I wish she was the main character instead of Emily because she was much more original and interesting.

The plot and pacing of Collide was decent. I liked that it took place in New York City, as that is one of my favorite places in the whole world. A lot happened in the book which I enjoyed and at a decent pace, but the characters completely ruined the half-way good plot.

The whole book was a miss for me to be honest. I probably won't continue reading this series.

Sorry if this was really harsh. I just wanted to be honest! Hoping you all had a wonderful Easter if you celebrate, and have a nice week!

Cover Art: 6/10 
Characters: 4/10
Plot: 6/10 
Pacing: 7/10 
Romance: 4/10
Overall: 5/10

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment