Saturday, October 27, 2012

Haunted Week Day 4: Back from the Grave



Today, I'll be resurrecting some old favorites: books I read and loved when I was younger.

To get to these books I had to go into my scary basement while home alone. It was very spooky, and "Haunted Week,"-esque. Note to self: Move my older books upstairs. I also was surprised I still had so many of these books...I periodically donate books to my local library, because they have none young-adult/children's books. The really old ones I fortunately still have. I'm just letting yall know..I'm going to list a bunch. I wont be doing covers for this, because theres SO MANY I want to list it will take way to long. I'd rather just focus on the books, ya know?

1) Black Beauty by Anna Sewell
This book was a gift from my Grandma, as she used to give me tons of old children's books. I was seriously obsessed with 'horse' books (I used to ride when I was younger,) and this was my all time favorite. The cover on my edition is also beautiful, so that made me like it even more.

2) Esperanza Rising by Pam Munoz Ryan
This is a beautiful, beautiful, beautiful book. I still remember the plot vividly. I read it in fifth grade, and it was the first book I ever wrote a paper on. Ah, I wish we still were able to choose the books that we wrote papers on.

3) Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
I adore this book. I read it several times..and it became more powerful every time I read it. It was one of the first books I cried during, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.


4) Which Witch, Journey to the River Sea, and Island of Aunts by Eva Ibbotson
My sister and I were seriously obsessed with Eva Ibbotson. I remember all of these books, but only own Journey to the River Sea now. (I must have gave them all to the library.) She's a great children's author!

5) Because of Winn-Dixie, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, The Tale of Despereaux, and The Tiger Rising by Kate DiCamillo
Wowowowow Kate DiCamillo was hands down my favorite author when I was little. I would obsess over when her books were coming out, and reread them several times. Ah, if you have younger children (8-12,) I definitely recommend her books.

6) The Penderwicks by Jeanne Birdsall
This was my dream family (having several sisters,) and the characters were incredible. I believe like I did reread this a few times. (As you can tell, when I was little, if I liked a book, I obsessed over it.)

7) Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan 
This book was an extremely intense read when I was little. I loved it despite it's dark subject matter. The writing was superb yet haunting. 

8) Pictures of Hollis Wood, and Lily's Crossing by Patricia Reilly Giff
Great books. Another author I was infatuated with. The imagery and character's in these books are excellent.

10) Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls Wilder
I read every single one of the books in this series. I wished every single day to be born back into the 1800's...I was fascinated by Laura's life.

9) Sarah, Plain and Tall by Patricia MacLachlan
I read this book after I finished all of Laura Ingalls' books....a great book that almost lived up to the standards set by LIttle House on the Prairie.

10) The Best-Loved Poems of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis
My mom used to read these poem's to my sister and I. It is one of my most loved children's books. I still sometimes read specific poems when I am in a nostalgic mood.

Wow that was a lot. Sorry if I overwhelmed you all. I read a lot when I was little. I needed to tell you about all the great books I read.


6 comments:

  1. This is a great list! I've read most of them, and meant to read the rest of them. I loved Pictures of Hollis Woods—it was such a sweet book. Ugh, and I thought I couldn't be any more nostalgic today!

    Great post! And thanks for going into your scary basement just for the occasion! (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going into my scary basement was terrifying...but worth it. I rediscovered all these books.

      I want to reread every book on this list. I'm suddenly realizing how much of my childhood revolved around books and reading.

      Pictures of Hollis Woods is so great and adorable. One of my favorite books.

      Delete
  2. I forgot about Black Beauty! Sarah, Plain and Tall was a good one too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Beauty was one of my favorites when I was little! And yes, Sarah, Plain and Tall was a great book. Did you read Skylark and Caleb's Story as well? I did...I loved those books! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, I loved Little House on the Prairie and Black Beauty! Amazing list! I'll check them out! Thanks for sharing!

    And thanks for stopping by my post!

    ReplyDelete